Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Don't Let This Fading Summer Pass You By

There are many, many things I love about living in Chicago. In terms of what is relevant to this post they are: that I can afford to live alone, in a sweet little apartment, with a beautiful deck, in the same city  (in one case same neighborhood) as two of the most lovely friends I could have dreamed of. Megan, Sara, and I all went to college together and have been happily sharing the same city since 2007. Over the last five years I have been fortunate enough to have these two incredibly funny, smart, kind, and encouraging women by my side as we all tried to figure out the veritable shit storm that takes place from ages 25 to 30. Today my dearest dear Megan leaves that tumultuous decade behind (Sara preceded us by turning the golden age last December, my turn will come in October). I think it's very easy for close friendships to become myopic, but every once and awhile the trajectory of your and your friends' lives comes into sharp focus.  The three of us gathered around the table now compared to the women were were at the same table years ago, is so wonderfully different. One of these moments happened a few weeks ago when Megan and Sara came over to share in the vegetables from my parents' garden in Michigan. In the midst of our beautiful little meal, one of us said what we had all been thinking, which is that we've come so far, we've changed so much, we've relaxed into ourselves in ways that, years ago, we could have only hoped for. From the deepest, deep pockets of my heart, it has been such and honor to move through the years in such astonishing company.

Tuscan kale and Brussels Sprout Salad (makes close to 10 servings)
Found here and so very good. The first time I made it with Tuscan kale and Brussels sprouts from my parents organic garden. I have since made it again and Sara has made it twice.

Cost
Organic, Tuscan kale at Whole Foods- $2.49 a bunch (you only need one for this recipe)
Brussels sprouts- around $2 a bag at Trader Joes (again just the one)
Pecorino- $3.60 (use about half)
Lemons- About $1.50 at the fruit market
Almonds- about $4 at Trader Joe's for sliced and raw (only use 1/3 cup)
Other ingredients- about $1 for the amount of garlic, olive oil, Dijon, and shallot

Total Per Serving
$ .70

Bruschetta
(I'm not someone who is usually a stickler about pronunciation, I get lazy with "ricotta" like everyone else. But this one is not so foreign that it can't be said correctly, bru'sket:ta. If you say "schedule" like an American, you can say bruschetta like an Italian).

In a 400 degree oven place a small oven safe dish with a whole bulb of garlic coated in olive oil, roast until very soft.
Dice a pound and a half of Roma tomatoes and set aside.
Brush sliced ciabatta bread with olive oil and place on a baking sheet in the oven. Roast until brown on the top.
Squeeze cloves of roasted garlic into a small bowl and mix well until past-like.
Spread garlic on slices of toasted bread
Mix in about two tablespoons of basil with tomatoes, season with salt and Balsamic vinegar to taste.
Spoon tomato mixture on top of toasted bread.

Cost
Bread- $4 (don't get shitty bread. If you are in Chicago, head to Red Hen)
Tomatoes- $2.00 per pound (mine were from my parents)
Basil- $1.99 (I grow mine)
Garlic- might as well be free the cost is so negligible.

Total Per Serving (about 12 servings)
$ .75

No comments:

Post a Comment